Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Hotel Holidays

Some people shudder at the thought of traveling away from home during the holidays.  I also know people who look forward all year to this precious time off  to flee to a beach resort or ski lodge.   I picked up this book "American Hotel Stories" by Francisca Matteoli.  It is a lovely collection of history, stories and photographs of some of the best hotels in the country. 

My lucite trunk stays put when I travel, although a friend recently quipped that it would cut my wait time in half at airport security.


What's your favorite American hotel? Right now I'm really feeling The Breakers in Palm Beach, Florida because it is like being transported to another era (and only a 3 hour flight from NYC!)  Another dream spot for me is L'Auberge du Soleil in Napa Valley...



I have a long-standing crush on Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica. I think this hotel captures both the best of the West Coast and the charms of the East Coast all in one very special spot in the sand. 


Wherever you find yourself this holiday, it's time to start finalizing those travel plans!


No comments: